What can I expect?
During a routine dental cleaning, you can expect the following:
- Thorough Plaque and Tartar Removal: A dental hygienist will use specialized tools to carefully remove plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth. This process, known as scaling, targets areas that are difficult to reach with regular brushing and flossing.
- Professional Teeth Polishing: After scaling, your teeth will be polished using a gritty toothpaste and a rotating brush or rubber cup. This helps remove surface stains and leaves your teeth feeling smooth and clean.
- Flossing and Oral Hygiene Guidance: The hygienist will floss your teeth to ensure any remaining debris is removed from between the teeth and along the gumline. They may also provide guidance on proper oral hygiene techniques and answer any questions you have about maintaining good oral health.
- Dental Examination: Following the cleaning, we will perform a comprehensive examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth. This may involve checking for cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues. X-rays may be taken to get a more detailed view of your oral structures.
- Oral Health Recommendations: Based on the findings of the examination, we may provide recommendations for any necessary treatments or improvements to your oral health. They may discuss preventive measures, such as fluoride treatments or dental sealants, to help protect your teeth from decay.
Overall, routine dental cleaning is a comfortable and essential part of maintaining your oral health. It helps keep your teeth and gums clean, prevents dental problems, and allows for early detection of any issues that may require further attention.